Pages

Thursday, July 12, 2012

MacDonald Smith Jr. 1956 - 2012

As you know, MacDonald Smith Jr. has died.  I was privileged to deliver a eulogy at his memorial last week.  I didn't say much, but here is the essence of what I said:

MacDonald was my friend.  He was my 'oldest' friend--I knew him for more than forty years, or since we were both 12 (1968).
He was my friend but I thought of him as a brother.  I loved him as such, and know he felt the same. 
As 'brothers' we shared a lot, but we did not see the world in the same way.  Honestly, we were apart far more than we were together.  But our brief time together shaped my life.  MacDonald was an important part of my life, my world.  He was unique and is irreplaceable. 
I will miss him. 
I will remember him.   
Fondly, too, for all the good times that we shared.  These memories are all I have left, and I would like to share a couple of them today.

That's it.  I told a couple of stories, and listened to the others who had gathered to pay tribute to our friend.  Over the next few weeks, I will endeavor to share them with you Dear Reader, and anyone else who cares to hear about him.

No comments: