Pages

Monday, September 10, 2018

First Week

Well, dear reader, if you are here, you must know where I am and why I am in Paris. I have just a few notes for this, my first full week.

My flat is tiny. There is literally just enough room for a bed, a table and me. That's enough, though, I am here to write. When I first saw it, the place looked much different than what I was expecting, but that's just the American in me. Now that I have been here a week, I've realized that any more space would simply be a waste.

The quartier is amazingly busy and diverse. I go out for a walk at least twice a day, especially now while the weather is warm and sunny. The streets are packed with pedestrians and the cafes are full. It seems like everyone is smoking, especially in the cafes. The people are remarkably diverse: Africans, Asians, Eastern Europeans and the occasional American like me. Bakeries, butcher shops and vegetable stores are abundant. I can chose from three of each, and that's just in a block two. The food is fresh and looks fabulous, though as I yet I have to go in most of these places, I know in time I will find the ones I prefer and go back until I am recognized as a regular. In the meantime,  I continue to explore and discover places.

Walking in Paris is an art form. One must learn to be quick and nimble, look down for dog poop, look up to make sure you don't run into or over anyone.You must be prepared to step into the street in an instant and return to the sidewalk in the same amount of time, lest you get run over by a car or cyclist. People walk, ride scooters, motorbikes and skateboards. Cars are ubiquitous, of course, but painfully inefficient--I pity the poor drivers trying to get somewhere.

I  haven't seen any 'sights' nor do I want to for a while. I saw the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame last time I was here, and I know they are still there. I've no desire to see them right away. What I want to do is figure out whether or not to turn left or right when I exit the building to get to the grocery store or the bakery. It's wonderful, actually, to have enough time here not to worry about seeing something--there will be time for museums and churches, perhaps. Maybe I'll just stay away from all the 'big' things and learn something about the little things, the shortcuts, the small restaurants, the cool cafes. One thing I see right away--I don't have to go far to see Paris.

I've begun to establish a routine, though it will take longer than a week to get there. Since I don't have to be at work at a particular time, it's a bit challenging to figure out what to  and when. Of course, it's also been an adjustment to sleep, but I think that, too will come with time.

I've been writing. I've already gotten a couple of scenes down and think I am developing some momentum. At least I find myself wanting to write--I was concerned that I would get here and just dry up, but that's not the case. The story is eager to get out and it just takes a few minutes to get it out every day. I started writing on day three, and so far I have managed to sit and work every day since.

I miss my family and friends, of course, but it's only been a week, and the newness and energy far outweighs any sense of loneliness. I suspect when sun disappears and the rain comes, it will be a different matter, but for the moment, I am quite happy, where I want to be. Home.

No comments: